Sunday, May 2, 2010

Wordle

I love Wordle! It is a way to be creative for us non-arsty folk. I can see using Wordle for projects after reading a novel or short story in English, for example, using Wordle to critique the work, list the characters, give a plot summary, et cetera. Wordle could be used for an art project since font color, size, and style can be changed (also tagul.com and tagxedo.com would be great with this type of assignment). It can be used in the beginning of the school year for the students to introduce themselves to their teacher - tell who you are using Wordle, for instance. Wordle can be used for holidays or to commemorate special occasions (birthdays, first communions, et cetera) - it is the lazy-man's scrapbooking tool! I would use Wordle for the cover sheet/title page in my students' binders or for them to tell what they have learned in a course over the past school year. It would be a fun way for them to really think about all of the things they learned and perhaps submit it as a final assignment for the year. They could use the opportunity to be creative and inject their personality into it.

The two Wordles I did as part of the assignemnt were a portion of Martin Luther King's 1963 "I have a Dream" speech. I found a text of the speech and copied and pasted the "I have a dream..." portion of the speech into Wordle. After some minor glitches with Java, it finally worked. I submitted this Wordle to the public folder on the Wordle site. I also used terms from my Astronomy class to compose another Wordle. I plan on posting both of them in my classroom. The kids will probably ask what they are and I can share Wordle with them. Wordle was a really interesting and exciting discovery for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment